International aid/ development worker
Political risk analyst
What do our students say?
“Geography is applicable to everything around us. It’s the type of subject where you can put the knowledge you gain into real life situations.”
Tamara, Year 12
“Geography is such a fun and enjoyable subject. So much so that I am going on to do it at University!”
Layia, Year 12
“The teachers are so supportive and kind!” Zaki, Year 12
What do our parents say?
“Geography is such an interesting subject; it has elements of everyday life which is so useful. My child learns so much and is really supported.”
“Geography is about more than just memorising places on a map. It’s about understanding the complexity of our world, appreciating the diversity of cultures that exists across continents. And in the end, it’s about using all that knowledge to help bridge divides and bring people together.” - Barack Obama.
Geography at OASB
Geography at Oasis Academy Southbank is intent on ensuring students are able to:
- Develop contextual knowledge of the location of globally significant places (both terrestrial and marine), including the physical and human characteristics of these places.
- Understand the processes involved in physical, human, and environmental geographical features of the world and how these are interdependent and change over time. E.g. interconnectedness in Year 9.
- The curriculum is also designed to ensure students are competent in geographical skills needed to: collect, analyse, and communicate with a range of data through fieldwork and interpret a range of geographical information (including GIS, maps, diagrams).
- Essentially, we want students to have the knowledge & cultural capital they need to succeed in life and the knowledge/ skills for future learning & employment.
- We also want our curriculum to be ambitious for all learners.
- Lessons have been stacked intentionally to ensure students are building on prior knowledge. Starting in Year 7, students learn the fundamental knowledge required to be an excellent Geographer. As a Geographer at Southbank, each year builds on the previous to ensure students have all the required skills and knowledge to prepare them for Geography at KS5 and beyond.
For further information on the Geography curriculum at OASB please email email@example.com